Bridging the Gap
Whether it’s due to an injury, illness or age, tooth loss is a common dental condition that can be treated effectively with the use of a dental appliance called a bridge. A missing tooth doesn’t just affect the look of your smile, it can also negatively impact your everyday life. If you have a missing tooth or multiple missing teeth, do any of these conditions sound familiar?
- Inability to chew food properly
- Inability to speak clearly, you might notice you mumble or slur your words
- Sagging facial muscles because tooth structure isn’t there to fill out your face
- Misaligned bite that, in severe cases, causes jaw pain
- Healthy teeth are shifting out of position
How Does a Dental Bridge Work?
A dental bridge is made up of a false tooth, called a pontic, and is held in place by crowns on either side of the gap attached to what are referred to as the abutment teeth. To make the bridge, we first take an imprint of your teeth so we can ensure a custom fit. The replacement teeth are made of porcelain to match the color of your natural teeth so they blend in and are hardly noticeable.
Once the bridge is constructed, we will fit the appliance and make any necessary adjustments so that it feels comfortable and functions properly before we cement it permanently in place. Fixed bridges are durable and reliable and will function just like natural teeth.
With proper at-home care and regular dental checkups, your bridge should last anywhere from 5 to 15 years.
Benefits of a Dental Bridge
Dental bridges are an effective solution to missing teeth and gaps in your smile because of the many advantages, which include:
- They evenly distribute the force of your bite
- Most patients say they are easy to get used to
- The appearance of your smile and face is maintained
- Allow you to speak and eat freely
- Keep teeth surrounding the gap strong and healthy
At Star Dental, we look forward to helping patients in the Roseville, California area and surrounding communities with restoring their smile so that is as healthy as it is beautiful. Call our office today and schedule a consultation to see if dental bridges are a good fit for your dental needs.