Does this sound familiar? You have a toothache and avoid going to the dentist at all costs. So you try different ways to ease the pain, but nothing is working. Reluctantly, you pick up the phone to schedule an appointment. Now, you’re having second thoughts. You try to think of reasons to cancel the appointment. Then you realize you can’t put it off any longer.
When you arrive for your appointment, you sit in your car for five minutes. The palms of your hands sweat as you walk to the entrance. It doesn’t have to be this way. We can make your dental experience calm and relaxing.
Acknowledge Your Anxiety
What makes you anxious about going to the dentist? Make a list of the reasons behind your feelings and bring it to your next visit. Here are common dental anxiety triggers:
- Fearing pain or the perception of pain, which may be triggered by needles, equipment, or the dental office environment.
- Losing control because you’re unable to see what is happening. Also, you have no idea what will happen next.
- Past experiences or a story of a bad experience told by friends or a member of the family.
- Claustrophobia felt by being in the dental chair with instruments and people close to your face. Your personal space feels violated.
- Embarrassed about the way your teeth look. You’re fearful we will pass judgment on you because of the condition of your mouth.
Discuss Your Anxiety
Now that you’ve made a list of reasons behind your anxiety, talk about them. Tell us exactly what you’re feeling. We’re here to listen in a judgment-free zone. Then, we’ll develop a plan to ease your fears. Your comfort is our priority.
We use conscious sedation in our office to help anxious patients relax during treatment. You’ll receive a low dose of sedative to take the night before your appointment. You will need a driver to bring you to and from our office. At your visit, we will give you the minimum amount of calming medications before your treatment begins. Conscious sedation is safe, and the effects wear off quickly.
Our team members are trained to assist you during anxious moments. Everyone works together to give you a pleasant experience. Are you ready to face your fears? Contact our office to schedule an appointment.
Dr. Fara Afshar