When you are sick, one of the last things you tend to worry about is your dental care. Here at Star Dental, we know it’s very important to take care of your teeth as well as your health. We want to inform you about some of the concerns regarding your oral health and its relation to your overall health.
Nasal congestion can not only hinder your breathing but cause you to breathe a lot more through your mouth, resulting in dry mouth. This increases a chance of tooth decay, gum disease, or bacteria growth. Pain in the upper teeth may be caused by a sinus condition. If it doesn’t improve after over-the-counter medicines, see your doctor about using antibiotics.
Some tips to care for your dental health include:
– Practicing good hygiene by covering your mouth when coughing or sneezing. You don’t need to replace your toothbrush after being sick, but you do need to replace it about every three months.
– Use nasal decongestants, saline nasal spray, or a humidifier in your home to help clear your nose.
– If vomiting, be sure to swish and spit after vomiting. Brush about 30 minutes after vomiting, because immediately doing so, leads to stomach acid coating your teeth. Swishing with water, a mixture of water and one teaspoon of baking soda, or mouth rinse can help wash stomach acid out.
– Hydrate with fluids, especially water, to avoid dry mouth, especially when taking certain medications.
– Select sugar-free cough drops and the right fluids such as water, sports drinks in moderation (good for replenishing electrolytes but contain a lot of sugar), or warm tea without sugar or lemon.
See your dentist here at Star Dental, here in Roseville, California, to schedule an appointment or consultation concerning the care of your teeth and health. Call us at 916.773.6222, where our dental professionals can help you today!